Thursday, January 27, 2011

Part 1- My Travels Begin-France to New Mexico

December 31, 2010- I'm A Traveling Man

Hello, Second Graders!

My name is Stanley Lambchop.  I have begun my journey via the internet and the United States Postal Service.  In order to fit into an envelope and a laptop, I have to be folded in half.  Hope I arrive at a destination soon and get a chance to stretch my legs.    Ready or not world, here I come!



[Image from http://www.blogger.com/goog_277093815]
It's a good thing I packed some Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies and a flatbread sandwich for a snack.   Good bye!



Check out this link to my song on YouTube The Flat Stanley Project Song


January 1, 2011- Paris, The City of Lights

Happy New Year, everyone!  Bonjour!

Thanks to the speed of the internet, in just a few seconds flat, I arrived to meet Hunter's grandmother in Paris, France, where she took me to the Eiffel Tower.  This amazing landmark was built over 100 years ago in 1889.  Did you know that there are 1,671 stairs in the tower?  Phew!  It's a good thing I am in great shape and could make it to the top and then back down again.  Check out this picture of the tower. 




This is a picture of me with the tower in the background. 
 

Beautiful Paris was nicknamed The City of Lights many years ago because, at night, it was one of the most well lit cities in the world.  It is the capital of the country of France. 

For all of you second grade French students, the word for grandmother is memere, and the name of the Eiffel Tower is La Tour Eiffel.   The word for Paris is still Paris, but it is pronounced Pa-ree.

After our climb, Memere and I paid a visit to The George V Hotel, one of the most elegant in the city.  As you can see, it is a wonderful place, and we were treated like royalty.   I was sad to leave, but knew I had many exciting events ahead of me in the USA. 



Allons-y!  That means Let's go!  We are headed for a new adventure across the Atlantic Ocean in a city known as the Big Apple.   Thanks for the tour, Memere.  We'll always have Paris!  Au revoir!


[image from http://www.blogger.com/goog_277093815]


January 2, 2011- New York, New York

That's right, Hunter and his family also took me to New York City for some more adventures.  They brought  me near Central Park, which is one of the world's most famous recreation areas.  It is the home to a zoo, a skating rink, and even a castle!  Check out this link to see a map of the park.


Later that day, I hopped into a taxi and zoomed across town to meet Jessie's grandmother.  She tucked me into her pocketbook,


and  led me on a tour of some of New York city's most famous buildings.  Did you know that this part of NYC is actually built on an island? It is called Manhattan Island, and was purchased from Native Americans in 1626 for 60 Dutch guilders.  Since it is an island, it is surrounded on all sides by water.  But you second graders already know that from learning about maps in Social Studies, don't you?


Next, Grandma Sue took me to a police station, where some of the officers recognized me.  As you know, I am pretty famous, and they probably knew about me because of those crimes I've solved.  Remember how I posed as a painting in a museum to catch those art thieves?  Anyway, one of the officers took a picture of me in front of one of their squad cars.    Then, the siren went off and they had to leave quickly.  It was very exciting! 


All of a sudden, I was incredibly hungry.  Grandma Sue took me to a street vendor (remember this vocabulary word?) and we bought a hot pretzel to share.  It was bigger than I am, and it sure was delicious!



Finally, we went by the theater on Broadway where one of my favorite musicals, The Lion King, is playing.  It reminded me of my new book The African Safari Discovery.  Have you read it yet?  For some reason, I just can't  stop humming "Hakuna Matata" now. It's probably because on most days, I have no worries.  It is lots of fun to travel around the world with my friends. I can tell that I am going to have some great adventures this year. 


Before I hit the road again, I caught a glimpse of the George Washington Bridge, which is also one of my favorites.  Did you know that it is one of the world's busiest bridges?  It connects New York and New Jersey, and spans the Hudson River.  We didn't have time to cross the bridge to see the sights, and I didn't have the flat rate return  toll of $8 in my pocket.  So, I posed for this picture before we said goodbye.  Look for me at the bottom left side. 




Thanks for the tour, the pretzel, and the great photo opps, Grandma Sue!  I waved and headed south to visit a new friend.  

. 

January 4, 2011 - In My Mind, I'm Going To Carolina 

It's not just Carolina in my mind, [1968, James Taylor],  I'm actually here! It only took two days for me to arrive in my envelope.    Trevor's oldest brother opened it up, gave me a snack of Slim Jims and a flask of lowfat milk, and we were off.  A few months ago, he visited all of you in the classroom.  He was the young man wearing a camouflage uniform, and even went to the same school as you do. But now, his job is protecting our country while he works reparing aircraft at the Shaw Air Force base in Sumter.  It's a lot warmer here than it is at home, so I didn't even need my coat.  He showed me some of the really cool old airplanes that are kept on the base.  Wow! He already knows that I love to fly! 


When our visit was over, he mailed me to some other friends of the family in San Diego, California.  Thanks for the hospitality! 



January 6, 2011- California Boys 

Here I am in California!  This warm weather is really making me feel spoiled.  I know that you are probably getting some snow back home.  Trevor's friend Jake gave me some shorts and a t-shirt to wear, and we headed off to the Sea World, one of my favorite places. It's a good thing I'm laminated, because I got soaked when we watched the dolphin show!

Click this link to see what I saw at Sea World.



We did a lot more sightseeing together that day.  Jake and I visited Palm Springs, a desert city with sunshine almost every day.  It was an unforgettable place with beautiful scenery.  We took the aerial tramway from the desert floor to the top of Mt. San Jacinto.  Boy, what a difference in temperature there was from the bottom to the top.  If the temperature was 70 degrees at the bottom, and fell 30 degrees during our trip to the top, do you think I needed my jacket?  It's a good thing I planned ahead.  From the peak at 10,000 feet, which is about two miles high, we could see for hundreds of miles around us.   Although I didn't want to desert my new friend Jake and this wonderful area, I knew that I would soon have to leave.
 


So, as the sun set over the glistening Pacific Ocean, I again climbed into my cozy envelope and headed for Washington, DC, where my buddy Rhys was sending me.  What a capital idea it was to mail me to The White House!

January 8, 2011- The Capital City

Here I am in the capital city with the First Family, the Obamas.  What a fabulous place to be a guest!
Click on the link that will pop up for this song, Hail to the Chief, which is often played when the President enters a room. http://www.archive.org/download/HailToTheChief_482/hail_to_the_chief_64kb.mp3

Believe me, I know how cool it feels to have a song written just for you!    

I am spending time with President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, their daughters Sasha and Malia, and also their dog Bo.  Bo is a Portuguese water dog, and he sure loves to play fetch.   

Here is a picture of the First Family


[image from http://www.sfgate.com/  ] 

and here is a picture of Bo on the White House lawn where he loves to run.


[image from http://www.tmz.com/]

I spent a lot of time with President Obama in The Oval Office.  I really like that name, because I can picture the curved shape of the room in my mind.  I suppose that's why it wasn't named The Polygon Office.  

The President told me how the skills he learned in school, like reading, writing, math, and science, all help him to do his job well each day.  Read all about my visit in his letter that I've posted below:


Did you know that Washington, DC is not a part of any state?  It was named for our first president (Guess who?), and it is also known as The District of Columbia.  It is the home of the three branches of our government.  I really hope I get a chance to visit again, since there is so much to see. I was sad to leave the Obama family behind, but know I will be able to watch them on my flat screen tv at home.    Keep in touch, First Friends!

Before I left the city, I jogged over to the south lawn of  The White House.  Just outside the fence, I met Sydney's aunt and uncle, who are from nearby Maryland.  They were still in the holiday spirit and convinced me to dress up in some festive clothing that they had brought for me.   Here I am in my red suit.  Ho Ho Ho!  I make a pretty handsome elf, don't I?

   

These friends put me in an envelope and I headed back north to the cold weather in Maine, where I was to meet Svetlana's aunt. 

January 10, 2011- The Maine Event in Moxie Town 

"Got Moxie?", she asked me, as I tumbled, shivering, out of the large white envelope.  I guess I do have it, since it does take a lot of courage to travel alone, meet many new people, and experience new things all of the time.  Since I was so thirsty, I couldn't wait to take a sip of the Moxie soda that she was offering me.  I usually like my soda flat, but this bubbly stuff was terrific!    Aunt Linda gave me a warm coat and mittens, and the two of us headed to Lisbon Falls, Maine, also known as Moxie Town.  We shook hands with the mayor, toured the Moxie store, and picked up some bright orange pencils for my friends at home.   Hope you like them!

Did you know that Moxie was one of the first types of soda made in the USA?  Ted Williams, a famous former Red Sox player, used to drink it.  Perhaps even your grandparents enjoyed it.




I noticed that there were many enormous pine trees around as we headed to the post office .  Do you think that is why they call Maine The Pine Tree State?, I wondered.  But I had no time to ask anyone,  as I was soon to be leaving on a jet plane (Priority Mail, again), and heading to visit Bailey's grandparents in Baltimore, Maryland.  You would think that all of this traveling would make me tired, but I am lucky enough to be able to nap while I fly. 

January 12, 2011- A Peek at the Chesapeake

Here I am in Baltimore, which is a small city famous for many big things.  It is the birthplace of Babe Ruth, home to the Orioles and Ravens, and site of Fort McHenry, where the Star Spangled Banner was written by Francis Scott Key. Did you know that he wrote our national anthem after watching the British bomb this fort during the War of 1812?  To listen to it, click on the link that will pop up when you click your cursor on the line below:



Grammy and Pop Pop also took me to the Inner Harbor to view the USS Constellation, a ship that has seen many adventures.   



Baltimore is located on the Chesapeake Bay, which is our country's largest estuary.  An estuary is found in a sheltered spot where the mouth of a river meets the ocean's tides. Both fresh and salt water mix together, making it a great place for boating and fishing.  Here is a map of the Chesapeake Bay.  Notice Baltimore near the top?

[image from http://www.pride2org.com/]



Later, they took me to this really neat neighborhood called 34th street.  Even though it is January, some of the houses were still decorated with hundreds of lights.  My favorite was this snowman.
  

Finally, Grammy and Pop Pop had to say goodbye.   As they left, I headed out to dinner, and sampled some of Maryland's famous soft shell blue crabs at a restaurant at the Inner Harbor.  Did you know that you can eat the entire crab, including the soft shell?  These crabs are caught and eaten after they have molted, or shed their hard shells.  This happens when the crabs have grown so much, about 1/3, that their shells are too small for them. They are even flatter when they molt!  I'm guessing that my tasty meal came straight from the Chesapeake Bay.   It was delicious!  

I weakly waved goodbye to Baltimore as I crawled sideways into my envelope. I was happy for the chance to rest.  Today, I had seen and eaten so much that I was becoming a little crabby.   But I couldn't wait to get to my next stop, where I would meet Abigail's aunt in New Mexico.

January 14, 2011 - New Mexico Enchants Me

I woke up in an incredible place!  New Mexico is one of our newest states, the 47th, and was added to the USA in 1912.  People love it for its dry climate, important history, rare geology and beautiful vistas.   Right now, I'm loving it for its plants, some of which I've never seen at home.    No wonder it is called The Land of Enchantment.  

I spent most of my time in Abigail's aunt's cactus garden.  You probably didn't know that I am really interested in plants, and have a green thumb.  That's an idiom that means that I'm good at growing things. Of course, my thumb is flat, but it's definitely not green. 

In New Mexico, the climate is very different than it is at home.  The temperature is hot and dry all year long.  What grows there outdoors would not make it though our cold winters.  What grows at home would not make it through their hot seasons. As a result, many New Mexicans can grow cacti instead of some flowers and trees in their gardens.   

Exploring the cactus garden was lots of fun, even though it was a little bit painful when I got too close to a few of those cactus spines.  Ouch!      
I explored this agave plant, played hide and seek in the Joshua Tree cactus, and observed the prickly pear plant from a safe distance. 

I was also fascinated by some Navajo pottery.  This is a picture of me posing with a wedding vase.  Look closely, and you are able to see some amazing details on this work of art.


I also had a chance to explore a colorful Navajo rug.  I wonder how long it takes to weave one of these?


Eventually, it was time for me to leave this special place.  But I know that I'll soon be returning, because Reilly is sending me here.  Be back soon!


January 16, 2011- A Winter Wonderland in New England

Guess where I'm going next?  Back home to all of that cold and wintry white stuff!  I am still wondering if I have to make up all of these snow days..... 

On one of my next adventures with Ryan's family, what do you think will happen when I lean too far into a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken? 

Do you think I will prefer cross country skiing on flat horizontal land, or downhill alpine skiing on steep vertical land ? 

Then, which flat state will I visit to celebrate a 95th birthday?

Check the blog again next week to find out!


After that, it's a good thing that my passport is up to date.  In the weeks and months ahead, I will be Taking A Trek to the Taj Mahal, Lending a Hand in Haiti, Exploring the Rainforest of Peru, Cruising the Carribean, and much more! Didn't I tell you that being flat has its advantages?

Keep those pictures and letters coming!   
Sincerely, Stanley




   



No comments: